Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Placement of Students at the beginning of the year

Waikanae School bases the movement from one room to another on student’s need, bearing in mind social promotion.

Guidelines:

1. Staff will draw up classes for succeeding years following consultation in syndicates in     November. Parents are also given the opportunity to make a request in writing for a particular teacher with reasons.

2. These classes will be referred to the Principal for discussion.

1. Criteria for individual placements will be based on age, maturity and intellectual development.  Factors such as emotional development will be considered also.

4.       Depending on enrolments early in the New Year, classes will remain as drawn up, with

additions from enrolments as they arrive.

5.       No changes are normally undertaken to initial placements except where roll  growth     

necessitates new classes being established or existing classes expanded.

Moving through the School years

The Ministry of Education’s policy on the classification of students in New Zealand is one of social promotion – children moving through the School with students of the same age. This system replaced the proficiency policy where children had to reach levels of attainment before they were promoted.

Students begin primary school on their fifth birthday. This avoids interrupting pre-school programmes. Students, as a rule, are promoted at the end of the year, so a programme of continuous enrolment means that children whose birthdays fall from May to December may spend longer in the junior classes and will leave school at 13 plus. 

Waikanae is a full primary school New Entrants to Year 8, all students leaving Year 8 to begin secondary school.