Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Our Strategic Priorities 2019-2025

1.      Te Reo me ona tikanga Māori/Māori language, culture and identity

At Waikanae School, we celebrate our culture and unique identity within Aotearoa/New Zealand. We have a role to play in fostering and supporting Te Reo Māori and improving the use of our language. Our culture is celebrated and embedded in everything we do.

We will:

• Grow and support the development of new Te Reo Māori learning for all of our Tamariki
  • Share our rich cultural history with our Tamariki in their learning and curriculum
  • Develop partnerships and connections with the local iwi/marae to facilitate cultural learning opportunities
  • Grow Kaitiakitanga through exploring the role of the school in the guardianship of the local environment.

2.      Individualised learning and engaged students who have a strong voice in their own learning

We will focus on creating a learning environment that engages our Tamariki in learning and provides leadership and development opportunities with a focus on excellence.

We will:

• Develop programmes that engage all students in leadership opportunities
  • Strengthen student voice in learning, including student led projects and passion based initiatives
  • Strengthen reporting of student learning with students and parents by immersing our parent community in the learning outcomes of our Tamariki.

3.     Students connected to the wider world and their local community – Think Global, Act Local

Global citizenship is a vital skill for the future of our children. It is critical that we create opportunities for our Tamariki to build an understanding of global and international issues, whilst understanding our unique place here in Waikanae.

We will:

• Ensure our Tamariki grow their understanding of issues facing them as global citizens and connect them to global opportunities
  • Develop a better understanding of what has happened and is happening in Aotearoa New Zealand and how we contribute or are affected as citizens
  • Connect our students to local community projects

4.      Environmental education is a key component of student learning - Kaitiakitanga

A key focus of our school is environmental sustainability. We will ensure that our Tamariki continue to develop opportunities to support environmental initiatives and lead the community in sustainability and environmental stewardship.

We will:

• Develop a strong sustainability focus across the entire school that is embedded within our school culture
  • Grow and nurture our school environment for student engagement in Enviroschools learning
  • Build relationships with local community groups/iwi/volunteer organisations to develop our Kaitiakitanga role as environmental champions.

5.      Holistic learning for life

Preparing our Tamariki for an ever-changing world requires constant adaptation and innovation. Ensuring that our Tamariki are grounded through a rich curriculum to be able to adapt to an ever-changing world are critical to our success.

We will:

• Identify opportunities to grow wellbeing, growth mindset and key competencies as an integral part of everything we do.
  • Provide opportunities for students to experience wider technology focus, including STEAM and practical technology e.g. building, engineering, cooking
  • Experience digital technology as a \part of the curriculum with a focus on problem solving and safety online
  • Build on languages forming a key part of our curriculum including Asian languages
  • Develop a financial literacy programme
  • Create a safe nurturing environment that supports and builds resilient and confident Tamariki.

6.      Student transition is seamless across their schooling years in and out of Waikanae School

We are committed to supporting our Tamariki and their whānau through the transition in to, out of and within our school (i.e. between syndicates). This aims to ensure continuous learning and positive social connectedness before, during and after this transition.

We will:

• Strengthen transitions for students and whānau coming into the school, e.g. induction, powhiri, buddying across the school etc.
  • Develop strong and enduring relationships between Waikanae School and other education providers within our community including early childhood education, primary, secondary and community education providers
  • Raise awareness of support available to ensure whānau are well supported in the transition into and out of the school
  • Lead the community in collaborative initiatives regarding educational learning in our community.