TEACHER ONLY DAY. SCHOOL CLOSED FRIDAY 20 SEPTEMBER
Over the next 3 years, primary schools throughout New Zealand will be able to close for up to eight Teacher Only Days without lengthening the school year. This situation has come about with the settlement of the Primary Teachers Collective Agreement in June/July of this Year. The provision of these days enables the government and teacher unions to address ‘workload issues’ without any extra salary costs.
We will therefore be sourcing T.O.Ds from two separate pools.
1. POOL 1. Primary Teachers Collective Agreement. Eight T.O.Ds over 3 years with no extension to the school year. (e.g. Friday 20 September)
2. POOL 2. Traditional T.O.Ds. These days are required to be made up and are taken out of the teacher’s holidays. They are known in the trade as ‘Call Back Days’. We deal with these days by either starting the school year earlier in Feb or closing later in December. (e.g. yesterday Monday 5 August)
The net effect of these two pools is that we will probably close during term time for up to four Teacher Only Days a year (1 per term) with the school year being shortened by 2-3 days per year.
Our third T.O.D for 2019 and the first T.O.D from the settlement of the agreement will be on Friday 20 September.
It is our intention to…
1. Give plenty of notice to parents via Calendar, Newsletter, Facebook, School Website, School App and Linc-Ed.
2. Make all days either a Friday or Monday to give parents the option of taking a long weekend.
3. Link with neighbouring schools so that schools are closed on the same date.
4. Ensure Funzone are available for parent-funded childcare.