Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Reading Age Comparisons via Running Record

November 2012 

About this Assessment Tool

The achievement data collated in the following graphs has been collected by way of one on one Running Records. The Running Record is a relatively 'soft' assessment tool that relies on the teacher's observations and interpretation of a student's reading ability in both decoding and comprehension. It is highly effective and widely used throughout the Junior School. It is primarily a diagnostic tool for the teaching of reading and its use tends to tail off as students become proficient readers (reading age of 12 years plus). 

It is important note following two points

1.      In 2012 a new tool was used for the collection of the Running Record data for students in Years 3 to 8. This tool was the New Probe Reading Assessment.

2.      In 2012 Waikanae School purchased a new Student Management System (SMS). This means that the manner in which the raw data was manipulated has changed.

These two factors mean that it is not possible to accurately compare results in 2012 with results obtained in previous years.

Therefore there are no overtime graphs this year. We now have a fresh baseline

The information given is based on the following

Well Below = A 'Reading Age' that is 13 months or more below a student's chronological age.

Below = A 'Reading Age' that is between 1 month and 12 months below a student's chronological age.

At = A 'Reading Age' that is between 0 month and 12 months above a student's chronological age.

Above = A 'Reading Age' that is 13 months or more above a student's chronological age

Description of Student Cohort Groupings

Category Number of Students in Test Group  Percentage of Test Group  Description 

All

449 100%

All students tested from Year 0 to Year 8.

Maori

47

10.5%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori.

New Zealand European

349

78%

All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European.

Other

39

9%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Asian, South East Asian, Other and Other European

Pacific Island

14

3%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori

Male

243

54%

All students identified upon enrolment as being male.

Female

206

46%

All students identified upon enrolment as being female

Year Group Targets

54

12%

The Year Group Target Cohorts are all the students in each year group that were judged as being Below the National Standard in reading on 1 December 2011

Maori Target

39

9%

The Maori Target Cohort is all students recorded/enrolled as Maori on 1 December 2011

Pacific Island Target

10

3%

The Pacific Island Target Cohort is all students recorded/enrolled as Pacific Islanders  on 1 December 2011

Achievement Summary

Performance by Year Group and Gender Cohorts

By Year 8 83% of students are reading at or above their chronological age.

There is no variation of note between the genders.

The Year 5 cohort is the poorest performing cohort with 32% reading Well Below or Below their chronological age.

The percentage of students reading Well Below their chronological age increases through the year groups. Students not succeeding in reading become more apparent as they get older.

Performance by Ethnicity Cohorts

80% of Maori are reading at or above their chronological age. This compares very favourably to all other cohorts measured.

Pacific Peoples are the poorest performing cohort with only 64% of students reading at or above their chronological age. There are only 14 students in this cohort.  Most of these students are very recent immigrants with English being their second language. Most of these students have received or are receiving supplementary support in the form of ESOL Reading programmes.

Performance Overtime

As stated in the introduction, there are no Overtime comparisons this year due to the use of a new assessment tool and a new Student Management System. Both of these factors have skewed the results therefore meaning we cannot compare apples with apples.

Performance Target Group as per 2012 Charter

It is difficult to use the baseline data and end of year performance data to measure progress for these groups. But what we can say is at the time of target setting (Feb 2012) all the students in the 'Reading Target were reading below their chronological age and by December 2012 39% had moved into either the "At or Above' category. This means that 21 of these students have made accelerated progress with three of these students making huge strides and moving into the 'Above' category.

Performance of Students Reading 'Below'

Most of 29 students reading in excess of 12 months below their chronological age have received or are receiving additional learning support. In many cases this support has been intensive and has been delivered over a number of years.

The majority of students identified as reading below their chronological are on the School Special Needs Register.

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5