Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Analysis of the Best Fit Numeracy Levels

November 2012

About this Assessment Tool

This is a relatively 'soft' assessment tool that relies on the teacher's observations of a student's ability using 'I can sheets'. Teachers can also assess students in the one on one NUMPA test. Due to the time consuming (10 to 15 minutes per student) nature of 'one on one' assessments this tool is used sparingly. Nevertheless the Numeracy Best Fit Level gives a good indication of a student's level of Number Knowledge and the sophistication of their Number Strategies.

The Longitudinal Study percentages and expectations used in these graphs have been supplied by the National Numeracy Facilitation Team.

Expectations

Students rated as "Well Below and At Risk" are more than 1 year behind expectation and are sufficiently below expectations that their future learning in mathematics is in jeopardy.  They may require special teaching, modified classroom programmes and extra support to continue their development and maintain positive attitudes. 

Students rated as "Below and Cause for Concern" are up to but not more than 1 year behind expectation. They are at a stage where it is reasonable to expect classroom teachers to be able to move them to the expected stage.

Students rated as "At" are those students who are meeting expectations.

"Above or High Achievers" are more than 1 year ahead of expectations  and may be  sufficiently above expectations that they may require special teaching, modified classroom programmes and extra support to continue their development and maintain positive attitudes. 

The Years One to Eight Longitudinal Study Norms are percentages that come from data collected for the Numeracy Project Longitudinal Study.  The nearly 7,000 students in this study were in schools who continued collecting numeracy stage information, at the end of each year, after the initial Numeracy Development Project has finished in their schools. Although these percentages are not National Norms they are as close as we can get. They enable us compare our students' performance with another referenced student group.

The Indicative National Standards are 'Indicatively Only' and are provided by the Ministry Of Education through the Assessment Mapping Tools for Mathematics.

Acknowledgements to the National Numeracy Facilitation Team for the above information on Expectations and the Longitudinal Study Norms.

Description of Cohort Groupings

Category 

Number of Students in Test Group 

Percentage of Test Group 

Description 

All

447

100%

All students tested from Year 0 to Year 8.

Maori

49

11%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori.

New Zealand European

341

76%

All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European

Other

42

9%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Asian, South East Asian, Other and Other European.

Pacific Peoples

15

3%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori.

Boys

247

55%

All students identified upon enrolment as being male

Girls

200

45%

All students identified upon enrolment as being female.

Maths Year Group Target

215

48%

The Year Group Target Cohorts are all the students in each year group that were enrolled on 1 December 2011

Maori Target

39

9%

The Maori Target Cohort is all students recorded/enrolled as Maori on 1 December 2011

Pacific Peoples Target

10

25%

The Pacific Island Target Cohort is all students recorded/enrolled as Pacific Islanders  on 1 December 2011

Achievement Summary

Performance by Year Group Cohorts 

Performance in the Year Group Cohorts 2, 3, 7 and 8 exceeded the percentages of the Longitudinal Study Cohorts 

Performance in the Year Group Cohorts 1, 4, 5 and 6 are slightly behind or close to matching the percentages of the Longitudinal Study Cohorts 

The percentage of students performing Well Below or Below decreases through the Year Groups from 38% at Year 1 to 14% in Year 8  

The poorest performing cohort is Year 5 with only 38% performing At or Above. 

It is interesting to note that while our performance generally exceeds or matches that of the Longitudinal Study Group we have an increasing percentage through the school of students falling beneath the Indicative National Standards cut off points.

Performance by Gender

There is no real difference in the overall performance between Boys and Girls 

There is nearly twice the percentage of boys performing at Above or High Achieving (19%) than Girls (11%) 

There is nearly twice the percentage of girls performing at Well Below or At Risk (15%) than Boys (6%)

Performance by Ethnicity Cohorts

Maori outperform 'NZ European' and 'All' with 75% being At or Above 

Other Pacific Peoples are our poorest performing cohort with only 60% being At or Above. This is up from 10% in 2011

Performance Overtime

Overtime data has only been kept in this format for three years 

The data shows that our Overall Performance in 2010, 2011and 2012 is remarkably consistent.

Performance Target Group as per 2012 Charter

The performance of five of the six target groups matched or exceeded the target: 

The Year 4 and 6 Cohorts showed the most improvement and exceeded the target by 4% and 10% respectively. There was a lift in baseline performance of 22% and 19% respectively

Interestingly only the Pacific peoples Cohort regressed. Dropped from the baseline performance by 15% and missed the target by 25%

Graph 1

Graph 2 

Graph 3 

Graph 4 

Graph 5 

Graph 6 

Graph 7 

Graph 8 

Graph 9 

Graph 10

Graph 11

Graph 12 

Graph 13

Graph 14