Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Six Year Net  December 2012

What is the Six Year Net?

The Six Year Net is a set of tests given to students on or immediately after the students sixth birthday. The tests are administered one on one by our Reading Recovery teacher.

It is a powerful assessment tool that leaves teachers with a huge amount of data on each child.  By the end of the test teachers will know exactly what their students can and can't do in relation to reading and writing. 

The results are used to.

a)      Inform teaching  and address the  needs of students within their class

b)      To identify which students will be withdrawn from their class and given specialist remedial help with their reading i.e. Allocated Reading Recovery positions. (The individual students with the lowest scores are given priority access to the Reading Recovery Programme.)

The Six Year Net assesses students on six areas of literacy. A brief description of each area follows.

Running Records (Reading Level) The child is tested on three levels of reading. An easy level, an instructional level and a hard level of text.  The running records are then analysed to see what strategies the child uses and neglects on each level of text.  It is also noted how the child sounds on each level (fluency/phrasing/expression).

Letter Identification The student is tested on letter identification of both lower and uppercase letters.  They are able to give an identification, sound or word response.

Concepts about Print The student is tested on what they know about orientation, directionality, first and last concepts, reordering of letters and words, reversible words and punctuation.

Word Reading (Clay) The student is asked to read a list of high frequency words.

Writing Vocabulary Students are asked to write all the words they know independently.  Teachers are able to ask them to write from a list of words. They have ten minutes to complete the task.  No teaching or prompting is allowed.

Hearing and Recording Sounds in Words (Dictation) The student is asked to record a story dictated by the teacher.  They are assessed on how well they hear and record sounds in the correct sequence.

Analysis 

Cohort Description

Cohort Description Number of Students from a population of 39  Percentage of Student Population Turning Six in 2012 
All 39 100%
Maori 4 10%

Running Records (Reading Level)

Levels 12, 13 and 14 (green on colour wheel) are at an approximate Reading Age of 6 years.

Level 15 is above 6 but below 6.5 Years.

We would like all students to be reading at level 12 or beyond when tested for their Six Year Net

Letter Identification

Based on the Bell Curve the Norm for this item is 60% of all students should be performing at Stanine 5 or above.

Concepts About Print

Based on the Bell Curve the Norm for this item is 60% of all students performing at Stanine 5 or above.

Word Vocabulary

Writing Vocabulary

Hearing and Recording Sounds in Words (Dictation)

Overall Performance

There are some interesting trends….

1. Achievement of 'All'
    1. The "All' is at above the National Norms in all components of this assessment

1. Maori Achievement
    1. The achievement of the four Maori Students assessed in 2012 are above the National Norms
    2. Maori generally exceed the 'All'. The difference in performance being only one student either way

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6