Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

STAR
(Supplementary Test for Achievement in Reading)

2012
February V October Comparisons
  

PDF Available

Click here for a pdf download of this report

About this Assessment Tool

This tool assesses students’ reading ability (over a number of components) and compares their performance to norms (Bell Curve of Normal Distribution).
There are various components within the test. 

These are….

1. For all students Year 3 to 8:  Word Recognition, Sentence Comprehension and Cloze Activities
  2. For Year 3 students:  Synonyms
  3. For all Year 4 to 8 students:  Paragraph Comprehension and Vocabulary Range
  4. For Year 7 to 8 students:  Language of Advertising and Writing Styles

These aspects are used by teachers to target teaching and learning.

It is important to note that for the purposes of this report overall test results have been used.  This year Achievement is being reported in three different ways.

Stanine:  Stanines enable a student’s achievement to be compared against National Norms.  Stanines and their associated test scores have been scaled and ‘normed’ to fit the ‘Bell Curve of Normal Distribution.

Year Group Equivalent:  We are now able to convert the test score to give an approximate End of Year Equivalent Year Group.  This means a test score for a Year 6 student might be the equivalent of a typical Year 9 (if they are really advanced) or a typical Year 3 (if the student is behind). 

Scaled Score:  This feature enables us to measure progress overtime be it of one student or a group of students. The Scaled Scores are all normed and enable us to make comparisons with the National result.

Description of Ethnic Groupings

Category Number of Students in Test Group    Percentage of Test Group Description 
All 346 100%

All students tested from Year 3 to Year 8

Maori 29 8.3%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori

Nz European 278 80.5%

All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European

MELAA 10 2.8%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Middle Eastern, Latin American, African

Pacific Peoples 12 3.4% This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori, Kiribati etc.
Asian 16 4.6%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Japanese, Korean, Malaysian etc

Description of Target Groupings

Category  Number of Students in Test Group  Percentage of Test Group 

Description 

Maori Target  29 8.3%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori who partook in both assessments 

Pacific Peoples Target  12 3.4%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori, Kiribati etc. who partook in both assessments 

Year 3 Target  4 8%

Those Year 3 students that were judged as being below the National Standard in reading on 1 December 2011 and are still attending Waikanae School 

Year 4 Target  4 7.6%

Those Year 4 students that were judged as being below the National Standard in reading on 1 December 2011 and are still attending Waikanae School 

Year 5 Target  10 18.8%

Those Year 5 students that were judged as being below the National Standard in reading on 1 December 2011 and are still attending Waikanae School

Year 6 Target  13 19.6%

Those Year 6 students that were judged as being below the National Standard in reading on 1 December 2011 and are still attending Waikanae School

Year 7 Target  8 11.4%

Those Year 7 students that were judged as being below the National Standard in reading on 1 December 2011 and are still attending Waikanae School

Year 8 Target  5 9.2%

Those Year 8 students that were judged as being below the National Standard in reading on 1 December 2011 and are still attending Waikanae School

Achievement Summary

Performance by Stanine

Year Group Cohorts

There has been a pleasing lift in performance from February to October in all cohorts.  There seems to be a significant value added component in each cohort.

October Performance shows that 92 % of all pupils are reading at or above Stanine 5, up 14% on February 2012.  60 % is the Norm.

There is only one student in Stanine 1 and 2 in October in contrast to 16 students in February.  All 16 students are or have received extensive additional support to address their reading difficulties.  This support has been on-going.  Support includes Reading Recovery, Rainbow Reading, RTLB, Resource Teachers of Reading etc. I t is really pleasing to see this lift in achievement at the lower end.

All Year Group cohorts exceeded the norm by between 15% and 28%.

The stand out cohort for 2012 is Year 8 with 98% at or above Stanine 5 in contrast to the norm of 60%.

There has been a significant drop in the ‘tail’ when making comparisons between February and October.  We only have three of our students in the tail (Stanine 1, 2, 3) in contrast to the norm of = 23% and a February Performance of 13%.

There has been an increase of 30% in Stanines 7, 8 and 9 from February to October, with a total of 68% of students reading in Stanine 7, 8, 9 in contrast to the norm of = 23%.

Girls outperform boys in both February and October.  Both cohorts also show a marked improvement between the February and October performance, boys by 17% and girls by12%.

Results ‘Overtime’ show a consistent improvement in performance from February to October for the Years 2007 to 2012 with an average lift of student performance of 6.5%. There is a marked lift in 2012. The lift being 14%, up 8% on the average for the preceding four years.

Ethnicity Cohorts

For October Maori are achieving at or about the same level when compared to ‘All’ students. There has been a lift of 20% in Maori Achievement between February and October.

Maori  are performing above the National Norm by 28% in October and by 8% in February.

Pacific  Peoples are now performing above the National Norm but are still performing below other ethnic cohorts. There has been a dramatic lift in performance between the two assessments, up 25%.

Performance by Year Group Equivalent

There are no norms to measure against in this analysis just an arbitrary standard for each year group.  The value added component is clearly evident in all graphs with big lifts in performance across the board.

Due to the small numbers of Maori, Pacific and other Pacific Peoples in each year group cohort it is inappropriate to offer ethnicity comparison as it would mean that individual students can be identified.

Performance by Target Groups

It is very pleasing to see that all target groups have made progress.

The two ethnic groupings have moved forward by:  Maori by an increase of 1.36 Stanines and Pacific Peoples by an increase of 2.42 Stanines.

Although none of the Year Group Target Groups have reached their targets all have progressed by between 6 and 23 Scaled Score points.

Many of the students in these groups have lifted their achievement in this assessment by up to 2 Stanines. This is very pleasing.

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7

Graph 8

Graph 9

Graph 10

Graph 11

Graph 12 

Graph 13