Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Progress and Achievement Test (PAT) Listening Comprehension

Achievement results with student performance being compared to National Norms

PDF Available

Click here for a pdf download of this report

About this Assessment 

PAT Listening Comprehension Stanines enable a student's achievement to be compared against National Norms. They also enable teachers and parents to compare student performance across cohort groups.

Stanines and their associated test scores have been scaled and 'normed' to fit the 'Bell Curve of Normal Distribution'

This test became available in its current form to schools in 2010.

This test assesses a student's listening comprehension ability (understanding pieces of taped text that are pre-recorded).

It is a useful assessment tool in that it enables us to identify students who perform well in oral situations but poorly in written situations.  We look for a disparity between this test and the other tests (STAR, PAT Reading Comprehension and Reading Vocabulary).  Students with a range of Stanine scores are often students with average to above average intelligence but who may have difficulties with reading or writing.  As a result this test helps teachers to identify students who may need targeted teaching and learning e.g. Specialised Group Work, Rainbow Reading, Extension/Remedial Programmes, SPELD tutoring etc. 

Description of Ethnic Groupings

Category

Number of Students in Test Group

Percentage of Test Group

Description

Notes

All

355

100%

All students tested from Year 3 to Year 8

Maori

31

8.5%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori

New Zealand European

277

78%

All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European

Other

27

8%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Asian, South East Asian Other and Other European

Pacific Peoples

20

5.5%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori or Other Pacific Peoples

12 of these students are English Language Learners. Intensive support is currently in place for all 12 of these students.

Achievement Summary

1.      Overall performance across the school is well above National Norms. We have 75% of our students at or above Stanine 5. (Norm =60%). This performance is 15% above the National Norm 

2.      In comparison to National Norms our 'tail' is small. The tail being the 12% students with Stanine Result 1, 2, or 3 (Norm= 23%). This performance is 11% below the National Norm  

3.      Maori Performance is well above National Norms and matches or exceeds other ethnic cohorts within the school. We have 75% of our Maori students at or above Stanine 5 (Norm =60%) Our performance is 15% above the National Norm for all ethnicities. 

4.      Pacific Peoples are well below National Norms with only 30% of students at or above Stanine 5 (Norm =60%) This performance is 30% below the National Norm  

It is important to note that this group contains only 20 students or 5.5% of the test population. 12 of the 20 students are English Language Learners. Staff and management are well aware of this issue and are taking all practical steps to lift the achievement of these students to a level commensurate with others.

Interventions include:

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7

Graph 8

Graph 9

Graph 10

Graph 11