Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

AsTTle Writing

April V October 2011 Comparisons

Student Achievement Information

'Explanation'

About this Assessment Tool 

The achievement data collated in the following graphs and reports has been collected through the use of the AsTTle Writing Rubrics. Student in Years 4 to 8 produced two pieces of writing. The first writing sample was written and marked in March and the second in October. The genre selected for assessment was 'Explanation'. 

As in previous years the testing followed a standardised procedure (as much as possible) and the marking process included analysis, benchmarking and moderation at a whole staff and syndicate level.  

The attached reports comprise three sets of Graphs: 

1.      AsTTle Console Reports:  These graphs compare our schools 'All' and 'Maori' with 'All Schools in NZ'. These are norm based comparisons and reflect actual student achievement throughout NZ.

2.      Year Group Bar Graphs:  These graphs provide Indicative National Standards levels. The comparisons in these graphs are about what our students should be achieving relative to the National Standards at the end of each school year.

3.      Cohort Group Bar Graphs which provide the percentages of students performing at the Indicative National Standards levels.  

It is very interesting to note that while the school and most of the identified cohorts exceed National Norms they are still in many cases well below the Targets for National Standards. 

One of the possible reasons for this is that 'Normed Data' is scaled to take into account the time of the year when these tests were taken whereas National Standards are solely an end of year benchmark.

Description of Cohort Groupings

Category

Number of Students in Test Group

Percentage of Test Group

Description

All

320

100%

All students tested from Year 0 to Year 8

Maori

27

8%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori

New Zealand European

233

72%

All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European

Other

40

12%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Asian, South East Asian, Other and Other European

Pacific Peoples

9

3%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori

Other Pacific Peoples

8

3%

This is a subset of the above group and contains 11 Kiribati students for whom English is a second language

Lexia

38%

12%

This is a group of students identified in February as needing extra help in reading and writing

ESOL/ELLS

22

7%

Those students for whom English is a second language

Achievement Summary 

Performance by AsTTle Console Reports

All      

Maori

Performance by Year Group Cohorts

Performance by Cohort Groups 

Ethnicity

Gender

Target Groups

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7

Graph 8

Graph 9

Graph 10

Graph 11

Graph 12