Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Analysis of the Best Fit Numeracy Levels

November 2011 

About this Assessment Tool 

This is a relatively 'soft' assessment tool that relies on the teacher's observations of a student's ability using 'I can sheets'. Teachers can also assess students in the one on one NUMPA test. Due to the time consuming (10 to 15 minutes per student) nature of 'one on one' assessments this tool is used sparingly. Nevertheless the Numeracy Best Fit Level gives a good indication of a student's level of Number Knowledge and the sophistication of their Number Strategies

The Longitudinal Study percentages and expectations used in these graphs have been supplied by the National Numeracy Facilitation Team. 

Expectations

Students rated as "Well Below and At Risk" are more than 1 year behind expectation and are sufficiently below expectations that their future learning in mathematics is in jeopardy.  They may require special teaching, modified classroom programmes and extra support to continue their development and maintain positive attitudes. 

Students rated as "Below and Cause for Concern" are up to but not more than 1 year behind expectation. They are at a stage where it is reasonable to expect classroom teachers to be able to move them to the expected stage.

Students rated as "At" are those students who are meeting expectations.

"Above or High Achievers" are more than 1 year ahead of expectations  and may be  sufficiently above expectations that they may require special teaching, modified classroom programmes and extra support to continue their development and maintain positive attitudes.  

The Years One to Eight Longitudinal Study Norms are percentages that come from data collected for the Numeracy Project Longitudinal Study.  The nearly 7,000 students in this study were in schools who continued collecting numeracy stage information, at the end of each year, after the initial Numeracy Development Project has finished in their schools. Although these percentages are not National Norms they as close as we can get. They enable us compare our students' performance with another referenced student group. 

Acknowledgements to the National Numeracy Facilitation Team for the above information on Expectations and the Longitudinal Study Norms.

Description of Ethnic Groupings

Category

Number of Students in Test Group

Percentage of Test Group

Description

All

490

100%

All students tested from Year 1 to Year 8

Maori

52

11%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori

New Zealand European

348

71%

All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European

Other

66

14%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Asian, South East Asian, Other and Other European

Pacific Peoples

24

5%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori

Other Pacific Peoples

10

2%

This is a subset of the above group. This contains students from Kiribati, most of whom are new to the country and for whom English is a second language.

Achievement Summary

Performance by Year Group Cohorts 

Performance in the Year Group Cohorts 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 exceeded the percentages of the Longitudinal Study Cohorts. 

Performance in the Year Group Cohorts 3, 6, and 8 are slightly behind or close to matching the percentages of the Longitudinal Study Cohorts. 

The percentage of students performing Well Below or Below increases through the Year Groups from in 14% at Year 1 to 48% in Year 8.

It is interesting to note that while our performance generally exceeds or matches that of the Longitudinal Study Group we have an increasing percentage through the school of students falling beneath the Indicative National Standards cut off points.

Performance by Gender  

There is no real difference in the overall performance between Boys and Girls.  

There is twice the percentage of boys performing at the Above or High Achieving (22%) than Girls (11%).

Performance by Ethnicity Cohorts 

Maori outperform 'NZ European' and 'All' with 67% being At or Above. 

Other Pacific Peoples are our poorest performing cohort with only 10% being At or Above.

Performance Overtime 

Overtime data has only been kept in this format for two years. 

The data shows that our Overall Performance in 2010 matches 2011. This is a slightly increased spread of achievement results in 2011.

Performance Target Group as per 2011 Charter 

The performance of four of the six target groups improved and exceeded the target.

The Maori Target Group had an exceptional lift in performance up 19% from the Baseline and exceeding the Target by 13%.

The All Pacific Peoples Group also had an exceptional lift in performance up 23% from the Baseline. It is worth noting that although there was an exceptional lift in performance they failed to make the target of 81% at or above the minimum level by 6%.

The Year 1 and 5 Cohorts also showed an improvement and exceeded the target, their performances sitting at the remarkably high level of 99/100% at or above the minimum desirable level. 

Interestingly two of the Target Groups, Year 3 and Year 7, not only failed to meet the Targets set but regressed. 

The variations between Cohorts Year 1 and 5 versus Cohorts Year 3 and 7 is very curious. It may not necessarily just be about student performance but rather may have something to do with the manner in which each syndicate determines the Best Fit Stage as well as the manner in which the Levels of Achievement are set.

Graph 1 

Graph 2 

Graph 3 

Graph 4 

Graph 5 

Graph 6 

Graph 7 

Graph 8 

Graph 9 

Graph 10 

Graph 11 

Graph 12 

Graph 13 

Graph 14