Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Reading Age Comparisons via Running Record

November 2011

About this Assessment Tool

The achievement data collated in the following graphs has been collected by way of one on one Running Records. The Running Record is a relatively 'soft' assessment tool that relies on the teacher's observations and interpretation of a student's reading ability in both decoding and comprehension. It is highly effective and widely used throughout the Junior School. It is primarily a diagnostic tool for the teaching of reading and its use tends to tail off as students become proficient readers (reading age of 12 years plus).

The information given (Below, At and Above) is based on a sliding scale from one month either side of a student's chronological age at five years, to six months either side of a student's chronological age at 12 years.

Description of Ethnic Groupings

Category

Number of Students in Test Group

Percentage of Test Group

Description

All

494

100%

All students tested from Year 0 to Year 8

Maori

54

11%

All students identified upon enrolment as Maori

New Zealand European

358

72%

All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European

Other

68

14%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Asian, South East Asian, Other and Other European

Pacific Peoples

24

5%

This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori

Achievement Summary

Performance by Year Group and Gender Cohorts 

By Year 8  88% of students are reading at or above their chronological age (up from 81% in 2010)

Slightly more Girls (91%) are reading at or above their chronological age than Boys (90%)

The percentage of students reading below their chronological age remains at or about 10% across all year groups

The percentage of students reading at their reading age increases through the year groups so that by the end of Year 8 36% of students are reading at their age

Performance by Ethnicity Cohorts 

93% of Maori are reading at or above their chronological age. This compares very favourably to all other cohorts measured.

Pacific Peoples are the poorest performing cohort with only 79% of students reading at or above their chronological age.  This is up from 59%  in 2010.  There are only 24 students in this cohort.  10 of these students are very recent immigrants with English being their second language. All of these 10 students are receiving supplementary support in the form of ESOL Reading programmes.

Performance Overtime

Performance Overtime indicates that the proportion of students reading below their chronological age has decreased by 6% in the last four years while the proportion of students reading 'At' or 'Above' has moved up correspondingly.

The median reading age for 'Maori' and 'All' have remained pretty constant over the past four years.  'Maori' have an average median reading age of plus 6.5 months of their chronological age.  'All' have an average median reading age of plus 9.75 months in advance of their chronological age.

Performance Target Group as per 2011 Charter

The performance of all target groups has improved by at least a minimum of eight months.  This is as expected; students should make eight months of progress in an eight month period. The following groups have had additional value added:

Only one group meet the Charter Target of plus nine months, this being the Year 2 Boys Class.

Performance of Students Reading 'Below' 

Most of 27 students reading in excess of 12 months below their chronological age have received or are receiving additional learning support. In many cases this support has been intensive and has been delivered over a number of years.

The majority of students identified as reading below their chronological are on the School Special Needs Register.

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7