Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Achievement Results Student Performance to National Norms

Waikanae School Years 3 to 8

February 2011

Progress and Achievement Test (PAT) Listening Comprehension

Progress and Achievement Test (PAT) Mathematics

Progress and Achievement Test (PAT) Reading Vocabulary

Progress and Achievement Test (PAT) Reading Comprehension

Supplementary Test in Reading Achievement (STAR)

What are PATS and STAR?

PAT and STAR Stanines enable a student's achievement to be compared against National Norms.Stanines and their associated test scores have been scaled and 'normed' to fit the 'Bell Curve of Normal Distribution'. STAR = Supplementary Test of Achievement in Reading. PAT = Progress and Achievement Test

Listening Comprehension PAT (Year 3 to 8):   This test is brand new and this is the first year that it has been used in schools in New Zealand.  The current test replaces one that had been used by schools for many years (20 plus).  This test assesses a student's listening comprehension ability (understanding pieces of taped text that are pre-recorded). It is a useful assessment tool in that it enables us to identify students who perform well in oral situations but poorly in written situations.  We look for a disparity between this test and the other tests (STAR, PAT Reading Comprehension and Reading Vocabulary).  Students with a range of Stanine scores are often students with average to above average intelligence but who may have difficulties with reading or writing.  As a result this test helps teachers to identify students who may need targeted teaching and learning e.g. Specialised Group Work, Rainbow Reading, Extension/Remedial Programmes, SPELD tutoring etc.

Mathematics PAT (Years 3 to 8):  This tool became available in its current form to schools in 2007.  There are various components within the test which are used by teachers to target teaching and learning.  These are: Number Knowledge, Number Strategies, Algebra, Geometry/Measurement and Statistics.  Once again this test has been dramatically revised and provides excellent insights into the next steps for learning and teaching.

Reading Comprehension and Reading Vocabulary PAT (Years 4 to 8):  These two tests became available in their current form to schools in 2008.  They assess a student's level of reading comprehension and the extent of their vocabulary (word knowledge).  This is the second time that these tests have been used at Waikanae School.  Both tests have been dramatically revised and provide excellent insights into the next steps for learning and teaching.

STAR (Years 3 to 8):  This test became available in its current form to schools in 2008.  It assesses a student's reading ability over a number of components. The various components within the test are….

1. For all Year 3 to 8 students:  Word Recognition, Sentence Comprehension and Cloze Activities
  2. For Year 3 students:  Synonyms
  3. For all Year 4 to 8 students:  Paragraph Comprehension and Vocabulary Range
  4. For Year 7 to 8 students:  Language of Advertising and Writing Styles

Description of Ethnic Groupings

Category Number of Students in Test Group Percentage of Test Group Description Notes
All 371 100% All students tested from Year 3 to Year 8  
Maori 36 10% All students identified upon enrolment as Maori  
NZ European 267 72% All students identified upon enrolment as New Zealand European  
Other 51 14% This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Asian, South East Asian Other and Other European  
Pacific Peoples 17 4% This category includes all students identified upon enrolment as being Samoan, Fijian, Cook Island Maori or Other Pacific Peoples Nine of these students are very new immigrants from Kiribati for whom English is a second language. Intensive support is currently in place for 7 of these students.

Achievement Summary 

Overall performance in all five tests across the school is at or well above National Norms based on the percentage of students at or above Stanine 5 (Norm =60%)  

PAT Listening Comprehension greater than the norm by 11%

PAT Mathematics greater than the norm by 2%

PAT Reading Vocabulary greater than the norm by 10%

PAT Reading Comprehension greater than the norm by 7%

STAR greater than the norm by 12%

In comparison to National Norms our 'tail' is small in all five tests. The tail being those students with Stanine Result 1, 2, or 3 (Norm= 23%)

PAT Listening Comprehension less than the norm by 7%

PAT Mathematics less than the norm by 7%

PAT Reading Vocabulary less than the norm by 12%

PAT Reading Comprehension less than the norm by 6%

STAR less than the norm by 11%

Maori Performance is at or well above National Norms based on the percentage of students at or above Stanine 5 (Norm =60%). In several tests Maori out perform both norm and school.

PAT Listening Comprehension greater than the norm by 14% and greater than the school "All" by 3%

PAT Mathematics greater than the norm by 9% and greater than the school "All" by 7%

PAT Reading Vocabulary greater than the norm by 6% and less than the school "All" by 1%

PAT Reading Comprehension greater than the norm by 6%  andless than the school "All" by 2%

STAR greater than the norm by 15%  and greater than the school "All" by 3%

Pacific Peoples are well below National Norms based on the percentage of students at or above Stanine 5 (Norm =60%)

PAT Listening Comprehension  less than the norm by 38%  and less than the school "All" by 49%

PAT Mathematics less than the norm by 10%  and less than the school "All" by 12%

PAT Reading Vocabulary less than the norm by 37% and less than the school "All" by 47%

PAT Reading Comprehension less than the norm by 22% and less than the school "All" by 31%

STAR less than the norm by 31%  and  less than the school "All" by 43%

It is important to note that this group contains only 17 students or 4% of the test population and that staff and management are well aware of this issue and are taking all practical steps to lift the achievement of these students to a level commensurate with others.

Interventions include:

·         individualised tutoring for oral language and reading

·         in-class teacher aide support in mathematics

·         PD for two staff members through Graduate Certificate TEAL

·         Use of Lexia programme

·         Use of differentiated leaning task and class groupings and programmes etc.

·         ELLP used to guide assessment practices and next learning steps

·         This student group will feature in our School Targets for 2011 (see 2011 Charter)

Achievement Graphs

PAT Listening Comprehension

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Achievement Graphs

PAT Mathematics

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Achievement Graphs

PAT Reading Vocabulary

Graph 7

Graph 8

Graph 9

Achievement Graphs

PAT Reading Comprehension

Graph 10

Graph 11

Graph 12

Achievement Graphs

STAR

Graph 13

Graph 14

Graph 15