Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Analysis of the Interim National Standards

Over All Teacher Judgements for Reading, Writing and Maths

July 2011 

Introduction

All students have been given interim assessments for Reading, Writing and Maths as at 12 July.The assessments were based upon the likelihood of the student meeting the relevant National Standard by the end of the year.  Students were given one of three grades for each area assessed. 

or

or

The progress statements were supported by Data Files which contained work samples benchmarked to the appropriate curriculum level for their year level.  The Data Files may have also contained other work samples (not benchmarked) of either student/teacher choice.

Both the National Standards Progress Statements and work samples were then to be used as the basis for discussion in the 3-Way Student/ Parent/Teacher Interviews held in the last two weeks of Term 4.

Cohort Descriptions

Achievement Information is reported against a number of cohorts. A description of each cohort is provided below.

Cohort Description

Number of Students from a total population of 492

Percentage of total student population 

NZ European

351

71%

Maori

52

10%

Other; (All other ethnicities not listed)

65

13%

Pacific Peoples; (Excluding Kiribati)

14

3%

Other Pacific Peoples (Kiribati only )

10

2%

ELLs Funded; Students who are English Second language Learners and are supported with MoE $$

16

3%

16

3%

Cohort Achievement Statements

The following table provides achievement information on the various cohorts giving the percentages of students likely to be achieving at or above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level

All

Maori

Pacific

Other Pacific

Reading

81%

86%

57%

0%

Writing

71%

78%

71%

10%

Maths

70%

76%

50%

10%

Maori achievement is well above the levels of achievement for all students at Waikanae School. 

Girls perform better than boys in Reading and Writing while Boys perform better than Girls in Maths

Pacific Island Achievement is well below that of any other ethnic cohort with our ELLs students (all of whom a new immigrants) from Kiribati performing poorly

Achievement levels are highest in Reading. Achievement levels are lowest in Maths. Results in all three areas trend downwards over the eight years

The Over Time Graphs show that teachers are being more definitive with their judgements in that we have made more Above and Below judgement in comparison to At in the three assessment rounds to date

How Valid Are Our Judgements?

Importantly various anomalies come to light when we aggregate our OTJ data.

·        The variation in Reading  Judgements  between Junior and  Senior School clearly seen at the  Year 3 and 4  interface  (Graph 1)

·        The variation in Writing Judgements  between Junior and  Senior School clearly seen at the  Year 2 and 3 interface This being the curriculum level 1 -2 split (Graph 5)

·        The variation in Maths Judgements between Junior and Senior School clearly seen at the  Year 2 and 3 interface . This being the curriculum level 1 -2 split(Graph 9)

·        The huge variation in judgements between the Junior School Year 1 2 and the Senior School Year 7 8 in all three subject areas(Graph 1,5 and 9)

·        The variation in judgements between Reading and Writing/Maths  (Graph 13)

·        The variation in Judgements made when students move from Curriculum Level 1 to Curriculum Level 2 which is the Year 2 3 transition. (Graph 18)

·        The variation in Judgements made when students move from Curriculum Level 3 to Curriculum Level 4 which is the Year 6 7 transition (Graph 22)

The above anomalies give weight to the argument that our judgements while based on The New Zealand  Curriculum, The New Zealand National Standards, our effective use of assessment tools and benchmarked  work samples, high quality anecdotal notes and teacher observations and a wealth   teacher knowledge  and experience are still judgments and not hard  facts. They are in effect our best professional guess. As such their reliability once removed from our immediate learning environment is highly questionable. If we have this number of anomalies and levels of subjectivity in our OTJ data how can we be assured that other schools are not having similar issues. The variations with the Judgements made within our school will be reflected throughout every school in New Zealand. One wonders just how the Ministry of Education can expect to make accurate comparisons between schools when there will be nothing standard about the OTJ data they receive?

Graphs of Reading OTJs by Cohort

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graphs of Writing OTJs by Cohort

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7

Graph 8

Graphs of Maths OTJs by Cohort

Graph 9

Graph 10

Graph 11

Graph 12

Reading V Writing V Maths OTJs

Graph 13

Reading Writing Maths OTJs Over Time

Graph 14

Graph 15

Graph 16

Year Group OTJs Over Time

Graph 17

Graph 18

Graph 19

Graph 20

Graph 21

Graph 22

Graph 23