Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Best Fit Numeracy Levels (NUMPA)

November 2010

Introduction

This is a relatively 'soft' assessment tool that relies on the teacher's observations of a student's ability using 'I can sheets'. Teachers can also assess students in the one on one NUMPA test. Due to the time consuming (10 to 15 minutes per student) nature of 'one on one' assessments this tool is used sparingly. Nevertheless the Numeracy Best Fit Level gives a good indication of a student's level of Number Knowledge and the sophistication of their Number Strategies.  

The norms and expectations used in these graphs have been supplied by the National Numeracy Facilitation Team.

Analysis

Achievement across the schools is at or about the expected levels with some year groups showing variations from the norm (either up or down).These variations can be explained by the fact that there is a high level of subjectivity in this assessment and scores will vary between teachers Overall in the Year Groups 1,2,3,4 6 an 8 student achievement is at or above the National Norms and most students have reached the National Standards Target Stage  

It is important to note the following when interpreting the results of the Year 3s, 5s and 7s 

1. The National Standards target for Year 7 is the same as the target for Year 8. Therefore students have two full years to reach Stage 7. This explains the wide disparity in the results for Year 7 and Year 8

2. The National Standards target for Year 5 is the same as the target for Year 6. Therefore students have two full years to reach Stage 6. This explains the wide disparity in the results for Year 5 and Year 6

3. The National Standards target for Year 3 is the same as the target for Year 4. Therefore students have two full years to reach Stage 5. This explains the wide disparity in the results for Year 3 and Year 4

Results

Year 8 All: Overall students are achieving above the norm with 73% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 8 Maori: Maori Students are achieving below the norm with 42% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 7 All: Students are achieving below the norm with 32% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 7 Maori: Maori Students are achieving below the norm with 0% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 6 All: Overall students are achieving above the norm with 81% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 6 Maori: Maori Students are achieving above the norm with 100% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 5 All: Overall students are achieving below the norm with 35% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 5 Maori: Maori Students are achieving below the norm with 38% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 4 All: Overall students are achieving above the norm with 88% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 4 Maori: Maori Students are achieving above the norm with 100% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 3 All: Overall students are achieving above the norm with 64% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 3 Maori: Maori Students are achieving above the norm with 56% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 2 All: Overall students are achieving above the norm with 75% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 2 Maori: Maori Students are achieving below the norm with 72% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 1 All: Overall students are achieving above the norm with 82% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Year 1 Maori: Maori Students are achieving above the norm with 100% of students reaching the National Standards target by the end of the year.

Achievement Graphs

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7

Graph 8