Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Six Year Net

2010

Introduction

What is the Six Year Net? 

The Six Year Net is a set of tests given to students on or immediately after the students sixth birthday. The tests are administered one on one by our Reading Recovery teacher. 

It is a powerful assessment tool that leaves teachers with a huge amount of data on each child.  By the end of the test teachers will know exactly what their students can and can't do in relation to reading and writing.

The results are used to. 

a)     Inform teaching  and address the  needs of students within their class

b)    To identify which students will be withdrawn from their class and given specialist remedial help with their reading i.e. Allocated Reading Recovery positions. (The individual students with the lowest scores are given priority access to the Reading Recovery Programme.) 

The Six Year Net assesses students on six areas of literacy. A brief description of each area follows. 

Running Records (Reading Level) The child is tested on three levels of reading. An easy level, an instructional level and a hard level of text.  The running records are then analysed to see what strategies the child uses and neglects on each level of text.  It is also noted how the child sounds on each level (fluency/phrasing/expression). 

Letter Identification The student is tested on letter identification of both lower and uppercase letters.  They are able to give an identification, sound or word response. 

Concepts about Print The student is tested on what they know about orientation, directionality, first and last concepts, reordering of letters and words, reversible words and punctuation. 

Word Reading (Clay) The student is asked to read a list of high frequency words. 

Burt Word Reading Test The student is asked to read a list of high frequency words that get progressively more difficult.  The results form a broad estimate of the child's reading age. 

Writing Vocabulary Students are asked to write all the words they know independently.  Teachers are able to ask them to write from a list of words. They have ten minutes to complete the task.  No teaching or prompting is allowed.

Hearing and Recording Sounds in Words (Dictation) The student is asked to record a story dictated by the teacher.  They are assessed on how well they hear and record sounds in the correct sequence Analysis

Analysis by Test Component

Running Records (Reading Level

Levels 12, 13 and 14 (green on colour wheel) are at an approximate Reading Age of 6 years.

Level 15 is above 6 but below 6.5 Years. 

We would like all students to be reading at level 12 or beyond when tested for their Six Year Net 

Letter Identification 

Based on the Bell Curve the Norm for this item is 60% of all students should be performing at Stanine 5 or above. 

Concepts About Print 

Based on the Bell Curve the Norm for this item is 60% of all students performing at Stanine 5 or above. 

Word Vocabulary 

Burt Word Reading Test 

Ideally the target for this item should be that all students will be reading at or beyond their chronological age. There are no norms available for this test. 

Writing Vocabulary 

Hearing and Recording Sounds in Words (Dictation) 

Overall Performance 

There are some interesting trends…. 

Achievement of 'All'

1. There is a marked improvement in performance across the board in nearly all components of the Six Year Net from the 2008-09 Analysis
    2. On closer analysis 5 students have been identified in 2010 as being in need of remedial reading (Reading Recovery). All of these students have/are/will received tuition via the Reading Recovery Tutor. 

Maori Achievement

1. The achievement of the seven Maori Students assessed in 2010 is quite phenomenal
    2. Maori outperform the norm by massive margins
    3. Maori outperform 'All' in all items  

Points of Note

1. 38 students were tested during 2010
    2. There are 7 Maori students in this cohort. This reflects our school population

Achievement Graphs

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7