Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Reading Age Comparisons via Running Record

December 2010

Introduction

The achievement data collated in the following graphs has been collected by way of one on one Running Records. The Running Record is a relatively 'soft' assessment tool that relies on the teacher's observations and interpretation of a student's reading ability in both decoding and comprehension. It is highly effective and widely used through out the Junior School. It is primarily a diagnostic tool for the teaching of reading and its use tends to tail off as students become proficient readers (reading age of 12 years plus).

The information given (Below, At and Above) is based on a sliding scale from 1 month either side of a students chronological age at 5 years, to six months either side of a students chronological age at 12 years.

Achievement Summary

Maori (91%) are reading at or above their chronological age. This is more than All, Boys and Pacific Peoples.

Pacific Peoples are the poorest performing cohort with only 59 % of students reading at or above their chronological. There are only 23 students in this cohort.  10 of these students are very recent immigrants with English being their second language. All of these ten students are receiving supplementary support in the form of ESOL Reading programmes.

By Year Eight  81% of students are reading At or Above their Chronological Age

More Girls (92%) are reading at or above their chronological age than Boys (88%)

The percentage of students reading below their chronological then gradually increases through the Year Groups to 19% by the end of Year 8

The majority of students identified as reading below their chronological are on the School Special Needs Register. 

Most of the 31 students reading in excess of 12 months below their chronological age have received or are receiving additional learning support. In many cases this support has been intensive and has been delivered over a number of years.

Achievement Graphs

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3