Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Analysis of Over All Teacher Judgements against the National Standards

Reading, Writing and Maths

December 2010

Introduction

All students have been given End of Year assessments for Reading, Writing and Maths.  The assessments are Overall Teacher Judgements (OTJs) and are the teachers informed judgement as to whether the student is meeting the relevant National Standard for the end of the year.

Students were given one of three grades for each area assessed.

·        At year end the student was achieving above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level. 

·        At year end the student was achieving the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level. 

·        At year end the student was achieving belowthe National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level.

All Parents of students from Year 1 and upwards have received this information in their End of Year Report.

Analysis

Reading All                95% of students are achieving at a level that indicates that they are achieving at or above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level. 

Writing All                  78% of students are achieving at a level that indicates that they are achieving at or above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level. 

Maths All                   72% of students are achieving at a level that indicates that they are achieving at or above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level.

Reading Maori          90% of students are achieving at a level that indicates that they are achieving at or above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level. 

Writing Maori            77% of students are achieving at a level that indicates that they are achieving at or above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level. 

Maths Maori             80% of students are achieving at a level that indicates that they are achieving at or above the National Standard appropriate for either their time at school or year level.

Maori achievement is at or about the levels of achievement for all students at Waikanae School.  There is no major disparity in achievement between Maori and Non Maori. 

Overall achievement levels are highest in Reading

Overall achievement levels are lowest in Maths.  

By Year 8 Writing is the weakest area with only 64% achieving at or above the National Standard. 

Results in all three areas trend downwards over the eight years.

The lowest performing Year Group cohort is Year 5 with;

·        72% achieving at or above the National Standard in Reading,

·        66% achieving at or above the National Standard in Writing,

·        48% achieving at or above the National Standard in Mathematics.

Pacific Peoples perform poorly in all three areas with;

·        43% achieving at or above the National Standard in reading,

·        48% achieving at or above the National Standard in Writing,

·        22% achieving at or above the National Standard in Mathematics.

This cohort only contains 23 students (4% of student population) of whom 11 students are very recent immigrants. English is the second language for all of these 11 students. 

It is worth noting that in 2009 75% of Year 12 Students attending Paraparaumu College passed NCEA level 2. Our Interim OTJs for Year 8 Students Achieving At or Above the National Standards mirrors this pass rate.

Achievement Graphs

Graph 1

Graph 2

Graph 3

Graph 4

Graph 5

Graph 6

Graph 7