Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

Community Page

Waikanae School Education Review Report

February 8th 2006

Waikanae School is situated on the Kapiti Coast, north of Wellington and caters for students in years 1 to 8. The grounds are spacious with mature trees and ample shade areas. Three separate playgrounds, with age-appropriate equipment provide for varying stages of students' physical development. A new large and attractive mural is a focus in the playground. It incorporates the school's motto: "Educating our children of today for the challenges of tomorrow", and was designed and painted by students and teachers.

Students are articulate, confident and actively engaged in their studies. Learning goals are shared with students so they understand what they are achieving and why. Independence is fostered and many students see learning as fun. Positive relationships with teachers are built on mutual respect. They share responsibility for looking after resources. They enjoy a wide range of sporting opportunities and special event occasions. Achievement information indicates that students are benefiting from high quality teaching. School-wide achievement information in the focus area of mathematics indicates that a high percentage of students are achieving above the expected standard for their age.

Many highly capable teachers deliver effective mathematics lessons, and this is reflected in student achievement data. Teachers are reflective about their teaching practice and enthusiastically engage in professional dialogue. Curriculum leaders for mathematics, with assistance from external facilitators, ably lead professional development. They show commitment and are forward thinking. Teachers effectively incorporate new ideas within their teaching programmes. They model good practice by responding promptly and confidently to support students with next learning steps.

The principal provides effective professional leadership. His continuing leadership through a challenging phase of development has successfully focused on school improvement and increased learning outcomes for students. An inclusive management style empowers others to contribute and develop professionally.

The Board of Trustees has recently completed a number of building initiatives, including six new classrooms to accommodate roll growth, new decking and verandahs, an information technology suite and school hall. All classrooms are wired for sound so students can hear the teacher with ease. The principal and board work together in an effective partnership. Robust policy and process for the appointment of staff with a complementary range of skills and abilities have contributed to building the teaching team's collective expertise. The board, through curriculum review, identifies and funds appropriate school development and resources to support classroom programmes. Consultation on the development of the charter and feedback from parents on school reports have also informed decision making.

The school endeavours to foster an active community spirit within the school. Weekly newsletters seek to inform parents on administration and educational issues. A small active parent teacher association supports school social events and educational initiatives. The association provides morning teas to welcome new families to the school. The website provides useful information for those interested in what the school offers.

This ERO review evaluates the quality of teaching in year 8 social studies, which highlighted particularly effective programmes. It also investigates career education for years 7 and 8 and compliance with legal requirements, particularly those relating to health and safety. This report finds there is a need for further consultation over the delivery of health programmes with all parents and regular consultation with Māori parents and whānau. In addition, closer monitoring of classroom attendance registers is required to ensure they meet requirements. The school requested, and ERO agreed to, a review of the quality of teaching and learning in mathematics, with a focus on numeracy. Recommendations align with the school's curriculum review. Findings indicate that students are receiving high quality education.

Future Action

ERO is confident that the board of trustees can manage the school in the interests of the students and the Crown and bring about the improvements outlined in this report.

ERO will review the school again as part of the regular review cycle.

Review Coverage

ERO reviews do not cover every aspect of school performance and each ERO report may cover different issues. The aim is to provide information on aspects that are central to student achievement and useful to this school.

If you would like a copy of the full report, please contact the school or see the ERO website, http://www.ero.govt.nz.

SIGNED

Lane Mohi

Area Manager

for Chief Review Officer

GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT REVIEWS

About ERO

ERO is an independent, external evaluation agency that undertakes reviews of schools and early childhood services throughout New Zealand.

About ERO Reviews

ERO follows a set of standard procedures to conduct reviews. The purpose of each review is to:

improve educational achievement in schools; and

provide information to parents, communities and the Government.

Reviews are intended to focus on student achievement and build on each school's self review.

Review Focus

ERO's framework for reviewing and reporting is based on three review strands.

School Specific Priorities - the quality of education and the impact of school policies and practices on student achievement.

Areas of National Interest - information about how Government policies are working in schools.

Compliance with Legal Requirements - assurance that this school has taken all reasonable steps to meet legal requirements.

Review Coverage

Review Recommendations

Most ERO reports include recommendations for improvement. A recommendation on a particular issue does not necessarily mean that a school is performing poorly in relation to that issue. There is no direct link between the number of recommendations in this report and the overall performance of this school.

Decile 1 schools draw their students from areas of greatest socio-economic disadvantage,
Decile 10 from areas of least socio-economic disadvantage.

Disclaimer

Individual ERO school and early childhood centre reports are public information and may be copied or sent electronically. However, the Education Review Office can guarantee only the authenticity of original documents which have been obtained in hard copy directly from either the local ERO office or ERO Corporate Office in Wellington. Please consult your telephone book, or see the ERO web page, http://www.ero.govt.nz/, for ERO office addresses.

School Statement

Before the review ERO offers schools the opportunity to provide some background in the form of the school's location and context, significant achievements since the last review, and issues being considered by the Board of Trustees.

Waikanae Primary School has not provided a school statement.

This report has been prepared in accordance with standard procedures approved by the Chief Review Officer