Waikanae Primary School The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Ngā mokopuna o te ra nei Ngā rangatire o āpōpō.

At least once every two years the Boards of Trustees is required to consult with the parent community about the school's Health and Physical Education programmes. The purpose of this consultation is to outline the programmes that we are delivering, how we are delivering Health Education and what we see as the health education needs of our students. The latest round of consultation was held in Term 2 2017. The next round of consultation will be in 2019. Click here to see the resulting Health and Physical Education Statement for 2017.

This page outlines our Health and Physical Education Programme which is linked in one curriculum document.  For the purpose of providing clear information, they have been separated on this page.  Attachments relating to some of these programmes have been provided where appropriate.

Opportunity to comment on our provision and programmes in these areas is provided.  We welcome your feedback as this allows us to develop policies and practices that reflect the needs of students at our school.

Health and Physical Education at Waikanae School

Waikanae School provides a nurturing, child-friendly environment where students feel safe, supported and secure.  Opportunities are provided for students that promote a sense of self-value and worth.  Students generally interact positively with each other with senior students taking a leadership role in actively encouraging this through programmes such as peer mediation and mentoring.

Leadership opportunities are also provided in Physical Education with senior students running games and skills workshops for junior students.  All students are provided with a variety of opportunities to participate in activities of a competitive nature and those necessary to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle.

Programmes and Programme Implementation

Health and Physical Education are linked in one curriculum document.  For the purpose of providing clear information about the programmes we provi de they have been separated into two sections. 

Health Curriculum

The following key areas are identified in the curriculum document.  They may be included in the two yearly cycle of Health teaching.  Each key learning area has aspects that may be taught at all year levels.  (Please note there is a separate and more detailed consultation process for Sexuality Education)

Key Area of Learning

Clarification and Possible Programme Content

Mental Health

Opportunities to develop skills and understanding about:

• Personal identity and self worth
  • Stereotyping and discrimination
  • Effective interpersonal relationships
  • Drug and alcohol use and misuse (Years 5-8)*
  • Keeping ourselves safe

Sexuality Education

• Interpersonal skills and attitudes to enhancing relationships
  • Knowledge, understanding and skills related to sexual development- physical, social and emotional (year 7and 8 only)- separate consultation required

Food and Nutrition

• Nutrition for growth and development across all ages
  • The links between nutrition, exercise and well- being
  • The cultural significance of food
  • Food safety

Body Care and Physical Safety

• Personal body care
  • Prevention of illness, injury, infection, disease, common lifestyle disorders
  • Identifying environmental hazards
  • Self-responsibility

The school uses a range of programmes to teach health such as:

Sexuality Education has a focus on pubertal change and is provided for students in Year 5,6,7&8 through Nest Consulting.

These programmes may be taught as a unit or by incorporating them into other aspects of the PE programme or curriculum areas.  Units may be taught in conjunction with the police or other outside agencies.

Waikanae School is a ' Sunsmart' school and is also working towards attaining a Healthy Heart Award for Schools.

Physical Education Curriculum

The following key areas are also identified in the curriculum document.  They may be included in the two yearly cycle of Health teaching.  Each key learning area has aspects that may be taught at all year levels.

Key Area of Learning

Physical Activity

Opportunities to develop:

• Movement skills in a range of areas
  • Cultural practices in physical activity
  • Their own attitudes and behaviours in physical activity settings

Sport Studies

Opportunities to develop:

• Skills for participating in diverse sporting roles
  • Skills to manage competitive and cooperative environments

Outdoor Education

Opportunities to experience:

Adventure activities and outdoor pursuits that focus on physical  skill development , fun and enjoyment

Waikanae School offers a range of programmes and activities, competItive and non-competitive, for students to develop their sports skills and team work such as:

These activities are provided by staff and outside agencies.